Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Uncertain times

If you live on this planet I'm sure you are aware of the state of craziness that is happening right now. I know it may all seem extreme, but let me say thank you for doing your part from the small percentage of people you are trying to save right now. From everything I've read and understand (Not an expert on any level) my home is looking at a while before we get to socialize again. I've never felt the need to expressly say it here before but I am an extrovert, a big one!!! The knowledge that I'm not sure when I will see my friends again, when I will get to return to work, or even when I will get to grocery shop for myself again is overwhelming to say the least. What isn't overwhelming is the opportunity to see the world and my community shine. People are showing up for each other and that makes me so happy!!

I thought I'd take a moment to share how my house is showing up for others and for ourselves this week. This isn't a competition or a show of how great we are doing, believe me there has been a lot of screen time, this is just ideas to help you see what still can be done to feel like a community even when you feel so alone. Also as a reminder, my home is immunocompromised so while sharing things I've prepared here in my crazy sterilized home feels safe to me, I wouldn't recommend sharing anything with someone or a home you know to be immunocompromised.

So where did we begin?? Earlier this week Oliver and I searched YouTube and found a video that walks you through a painting class. We sat together and painted side by side, pausing the video and rewatching parts that confused us. We both wish our paintings had been better but the experience was pretty neat. Sawyer was interested in painting at a different level! He has been asking to paint his bedroom for awhile now but life keeps us busy and it hasn't been high on the priorities list, but guess what...we got nothing but time now! So we researched colors online, called the paint store and placed our order over the phone, did a speedy pick up and now are taking the bedroom painting a day (or a wall) at a time.





























Not gonna lie, I felt good about all of that, and then I remembered I had days, weeks possibly months of this and I wanted to cry. Eventually I remembered that I had already kind of done this once before. When my boys were little Jeremy was sick and for a while I felt like and sometimes even was a single mom. To cope I would set out an activity every night before going to bed so that when they woke up they had something to do while I guzzled coffee, started a load of laundry or did whatever needed to be done. This helped all of us survive that rocky time in our lives. So I went old school and I made playdough! I set it out and every one in the house has played with it! It's been so fun! When I made it I made extra and we went for a walk around our neighborhood and left surprise bags of playdough with an anonymous note for our friends with young kids in the neighborhood. The boys loved doorbell ditching friends so it was a game as well as a little exercise and it made us all not feel quite so alone.





The last thing I'm going to share has been sooo easy and yet silly and fun. I know that with the quarantine a lot of families are taking walks around their neighborhoods, I mean we all need some exercise right? So the boys and I put up a bright sign that says "JOKE OF THE DAY" and everyday we are putting a new joke up for the walkers to see. Today's funny: Ducks have feathers to cover their butt quacks. ;) Funny right?!? Hopefully it brings someone a smile today.

Anyhow there has definitely been more home cooking, more puzzles, more walks together as well as more xbox, more tv and less showers all of which I'm making peace with. I know I feel very alone right now, but I also feel so grateful that my community is banding together to keep my family safe. You may feel it's all extreme or unnecessary so if you need a face to remind you why you are doing this let me present exhibit A: 




Still mostly sane,

Liz

1 comment: