Monday, January 24, 2011

Nurture or Nature?

Sugar and spice and everything nice,
that's what little girls are made of.
Snake and snails and puppy dog tails,
that's what little boys are made of.

Hmmm.....
I have never a been a believer that someone can be changed into something they are not because of the way they are raised, but nothing has proved this more to me than having two boys! Now before I go on I must say I do not prefer one to the other (I mean I do, but it changes everyday, sometimes several times a day) it just amazes me how different they are. What amazes me more still is how many things can be chalked up only to "Well he's a boy!"


Yes that is a naked booty running away! I really believe all children love to be naked, but it's amazing how much time my kids would spend naked if I allowed them to be. So this part doesn't shock me to much. Where the shock comes for me is mainly in the guns/shoot 'em up mentality. I was raised in a house where we did not own guns, toy guns, I mean we couldn't even pretend that a stick was a gun if we were pointing it at someone. And yes there were many little boys in my house.


This is Oliver using a ladder from his brother's farm as a gun. Until our Disneyland trip we also had no guns in our house, but it has never stopped Oliver! Oliver is the instigator of the warfare play in my house! Oliver is all boy when it comes to things like that. 


The beautiful thing about having two tho is that Sawyer (who is not all boy in that sense) will play guns with him and in turn Oliver will play dress up with Sawyer.  It is so fun to watch them play together no matter what the game.  





1 comment: