Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Dia de los Muertos, a celebration of life!

This year at my house we have decided to celebrate Dia de los Muertos. I think people often think of this as a Gothic, dark holiday for those intrigued by death. It is actually a day to celebrate all the people who have passed in your life. You create an alter, bring them gifts and honor their lives on this special day. We've had a lot of fun setting up our alter for this so I thought I'd share!

First we spent a day decorating skulls at a local art studio with our friend Lily!


Our beautiful ladies....


Lastly we came home and used our entry table to set up an alter with pictures of some of those we are honoring.


You may notice that we gave them jalapenos as an offering food. My boys asked why I choose them and the only explanation I have is that there are some spicy, fierce women who've gone before us. I hope on this the day of the dead you can take a moment to honor those you have loved and lost.

Los amo y extrano-

No comments:

Post a Comment