Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Crush'n it!

Ok this ones going to be a humble brag, or as my nieces say a flex, albeit a weird flex, a flex nonetheless! Sooooo.......I'm writing this from a chemo infusion room, while my boys are home (probably playing video games) on spring break, tonight the boys and I have a movie date planned while papa is recovering from chemo because my family is CRUSHING this cancer game! Ok let's be real, it's taken us 8 years to perfect this and I'm not sure this is something people plan on perfecting but over the last 8 years we haven't gone more then 2 without having some run in with this demon. Even 2 is pushing it, Jeremy has gotten more "routine scans" then most have had dental cleanings in those 8 years so we've had a lot of time to "perfect" this. This is Jeremy's second treatment and while the first went relatively quickly and without incident I know this one will be even better! Last round Jeremy had some pain, nausea/lack of appetite, and fatigue to deal with, this round we've prepared for all of these things. Pain meds are filled and ready at home. Pain is what his doctor is blaming most of the fatigue on so that should be less this round too! I made some super nutritionally dense chicken broth (that is also super yummy) to have on hand for days when eating seems daunting. I know I could be counting all my chickens, but again this round we are killing it!

We are communicating like rock stars. We are allowing room for grieving and processing without anyone completely withdrawing from life. We are all stepping up and helping keep the house moving in a forward direction. I think we have all gotten to a place of understanding of our own needs that we had never experienced before. We have all reached out to people to when we felt we could use support and have luckily created a support network for ourselves in the last 8 years unlike any other! I'm sure the boys age is extremely helpful in all of this but they were never the only ones struggling so I'm sure their age isn't the whole change. Lets be real this has been a very real part of our lives everyday for as long as we all remember. At home cancer isn't a four letter word. While we may not all be shouting it from the rooftops we are all able to say it sucks...but move on. Our household mentality has definitely become while this is in our home it isn't our home. We are still allowed to be happy. We are still able to have fun and play. We are also able to cry or feel sad at a moments notice just because. I think that last part is what I'm most proud of, because that's what I hope sticks even after all this cancer stuff is gone. My boys know pain and joy, they understand good days and bad, their lives will be fuller and more complete because they have made room for all the things that life will bring their way.

Anyhow today I'm here, in the rain, drinking water, realizing we got this shit! Not gonna lie it's a pretty awesome feeling. So my reminder to everyone else is take the small wins when they come. Life doesn't have to be rainbows and unicorns to be good, it can also be chemo and chicken broth.


-Love and smiles from this guy & I

No comments:

Post a Comment